HashiDays London 2017 – trip report
HashiDays London is an event I attended with a bunch of my colleagues. The conference is organized by HashiCorp, the company behind popular open source tools like:
HashiCorp is such an interesting company: they’re great at solving problems that are typical for the current era of dev and ops:
- Vagrant is used to ease the use of local development machines
- Packer can build custom machine images for popular cloud computing providers
- Terraform allows you to launch and orchestrate cloud resources for a range of cloud providers
- Consul is a service discovery tool that is exposed over REST and DNS
- Vault is a Security-As-A-Service product
- Nomad is a large-scale workload scheduler
In that respect, it made total sense to me to travel to London and to attend HashiDays.
HashiDays trip report
As usual, I made a trip report where I mix business and pleasure: the London sights and the HashiDays London 2017 vibes.
The “Hashi” in HashiDays and HashiCorp comes from the lastname of the founder: Mitchell Hashimoto.
The first talk we saw when entering the venue, was Mitchell’s keynote. It gave us a view on the current state and the future of the HashiCorp open source tools and the enterprise options they offer.
#hashidays #london by @HashiCorp. Keynote time with @mitchellh pic.twitter.com/J8EQkaocXT
— Thijs Feryn (@ThijsFeryn) June 12, 2017
The other HashiCorp co-founder, Armon Dadgar, also gave a talk. His presentation was all about their latest tool: Nomad.
There were plenty more other talk I enjoyed. More specifically: the multi-cloud Terraform demo by Paddy Foran and the Terraform talk by Nicki Watt.
HashiDays was great! I learned a lot and got the opportunity to ask some questions to Mitchell and his crew.
Keep up the good work, Mitchell, you’re doing it right!
We have @Wumzum drawing live portraits of our #HashiDays London speakers today. First up- @mitchellh on stage. pic.twitter.com/ENCB6z2xEs
— HashiCorp (@HashiCorp) June 12, 2017
And by the way:
- Follow me on Twitter: @ThijsFeryn
- Follow me on Instagram: @ThijsFeryn
- Check out my talks website
- Buy my book